Saturday, June 26, 2004
Deja Vu ... Damn it!
I'm well into Angels & Demons and I feel like I've already read this book. It was called The Da Vinci Code! Why does the dead guy always leave behind a daughter that has to work with Langdon to solve the mystery? Still, I've been enjoying the science vs religion aspects of the book. I suppose that the James Bond series are repetitous in the same way and look how successful they are. I can see Robert Langdon becoming a movie franchise.
When I read this part, I thought of Keanu ...
" ... 'My father could argue two sides of a Mobius Strip.'
Langdon laughed, picturing the artful crafting of a Mobius Strip--a twisted ring of paper, which technically possessed only one side. Langdon had first seen the single sided shape in the artwork of M. C. Escher."
I've been a big fan of Escher for many years.
And I guess I should be thankful Langdon doesn't drool over the daughter's tits constantly. Which brings up A Scanner Darkly. I WANT this movie to be huge, but I fear it will be a Slacker kind of movie. Although, I suppose Scanner has all the makings for a cult classic, which would then make it huge in a different kind of way.
I've been trying to get a feel for Richard Linklater's work, and I like what he's done lately. I really enjoyed School of Rock. I borrowed Slacker and I can't say I'm a big fan of this kind of movie. Dazed and Confused is better, but still not my kind of movie. I like the philosophies that Linklater's trying to get into, but I really don't like the delivery. I'll have to get Before Sunrise and Before Sunset and see what they are all about. It sounds like Before Sunset is a very good sequel.
P.S. Here's a little article that calls The Da Vinci Code pseudo-history and that "so many people do not know where the novel ends and the truth begins" [that would be me]. It also says,
"Scholars say it could be considered ridiculous to question the credibility of a work of fiction, but the book is presented as a thoroughly researched novel based on fact. 'All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate,' says a statement of fact that opens the book."
The bible scholars will be presenting seminars to debunk the book and answer questions on Christianity.
Comments:
Post a Comment


